August 10 & 11, 2012
Things are coming together rapidly in the two-and-half months before the Reflection and Resistance: Anarchism and Christianity X gathering at Area 15 in Charlotte, NC and the updates are a-plenty. Take a look at what’s new below, then register to attend.
Over the past week-and-a-half, organizers have confirmed the participation of several speakers. We are striving for increased diversity among our presenters this year and are actively pursuing more women’s voices to add to the lineup below. At this time, however, we are pleased to welcome:
- Ashanti Alston Omowali: anarchist activist, speaker, writer, former Black Panther and Iconocast interviewee
- Willie Baptist: Scholar-in-Residence and coordinator of the Poverty Scholars Program at the Poverty Initiative
- Kifu Faruq: self-described Farmerpreneur and director of programming and marketing for Green Space Initiative
- Anthony Nocella II: author, educator, community organizer, professor and Quaker-anarchist activist
- John Wessel-McCoy: former union organizer and current project organizer at the Poverty Initiative
- Todd Zimmer: Charlotte-based Rainforest Action Network organizer
The Free Market
Resource-sharing working group members are pulling together a free market/bartering village for gathering attendees and neighbors of Area 15. If you are coming to the gathering and want to bring items to share and exchange, please tell us when you register. Letting us know you intend to participate will assist our planning and enable our team to send you all the necessary information as the event draws nearer.
Organizers are planning to provide a fun and safe designated space for children (and parents) at the gathering. If you are a parent who is interested in using this space and/or a person with experience working with kids who would like to volunteer, please let us know when you register so we can keep you posted. If you have already registered, and are a parent and/or are interested in helping, contact conference @ jesusradicals . com
Support the gathering
With free gathering space and all food costs being covered by some of our hosts, our primary costs will be speaker travel ($1,020.87 at the time of this post), with additional expenses for the bands and musicians we invite to make this year extra special (more details on performers to come soon). Please help us make our tenth anniversary a fully-funded one by visiting the gathering giving page.
—Reflection and Resistance illustration by artist and outreach working group member Jesce Walz