Issue 28 of Geez Magazine will explore the anarchist impulse in Christianity and editors are looking for submissions ideas by August 6. Here are some ideas for your pitches:
Spirituality and anarchism
- Should we worship a heavenly king when the metaphor stinks of feudalism and tyranny?
- How do you connect with a higher power or a larger purpose without sacrificing your autonomy?
- What’s a feminist theological take on John Howard Yoder’s “revolutionary subordination” (is it even possible?)?
- Can I be a Christian and an anarchist?
- Describe what it is about anarchists that rubs you the wrong way.
- Pitch a myth-busting article that helps readers get over their hang-ups or a profile of a real-life Christian anarchist.
Social change, regime change: If contemporary democracy has been co-opted by corporate interests, what’s an alternative vision for citizenship and governance of information-age societies?
Make us laugh: Geez loves smart, fun writing – or comics, sketches, a few pages from your zine…
Worship and anarchy pitches related to theology, pop culture and cultural politics, activism and social change, plus snapshots (short, personal stories related to the theme) are also acceptable.
We have no honorarium but much gratitude for these contributions:
- Name a small step, action or habit you use to disrupt unjust social norms in your daily life.
- Send a letter to the editor related to the theme: with as much grace and humour as you can muster, share your struggles with submitting to hierarchies (at home, work, church, nation).
- Send your confession to the Sinner’s Corner, where we offer cheeky absolution for your social-justice sins.
- Tell us what you’d like to see in this issue.
Pitches should be emailed to email@example.com
Deadline for articles (if assigned): September 21, 2012
Pitch guidelines: www.geezmagazine.org/participate/guidelines/
Information on upcoming issues: www.geezmagazine.org/blogs/entry/upcoming-issues/